Wednesday 17 October 2012

Three children




It was winter last week (with thick snow only two hours away!) and it's full-on summer this week. The weather's confused and so are we. I've been back and forth digging out winter clothes that I thought wouldn't have to come out again until next year. Now it looks like I can definitely put them back.

I stay in when it gets to the thirties, otherwise it starts to fry my brain and whatever smidgen of patience and capacity I have for listening to my children just dissipates in the hot sun. I start madly scrambling around looking for a way out and I start to panic.

Panic is what I almost did two weeks ago when it reached 35 degrees. I had promised the boys a trip to the Reptile Park if they sat quietly while I took pictures of the sourdough bakers for my deadline later that day. A promise is a promise. Even if I didn't know how hot it would be. Thick sunscreen and wide-brimmed hats did nothing to stop the panic from creeping in. But something else did.... Sprinklers. I scooped Kian out of the buggy, took my shoes off and told Luca we were going to get wet together. We ran in and out till we dripped. After a quick cuddle with a koala and a pat of the Galapagos tortoise, we were dry again. So we did it again. Kids joined us and parents thought I was a little crazy.

Water saved the day yesterday too, when my long-haired pair were starting to drive me loopy inside the house. I found some shade on the decking, filled their wading pool and gave them empty laundry bottles and straws. They played together for almost two hours, only coming in to ask for chalk to draw on the outside of the house. We kept Sydney wet and she took shelter in the shade of the trampoline. She was too hot and bothered to ask for a walk.

It was blissful for once, listening to running water and the sound of my children giggling without anyone tormenting Sydney and without Sydney nagging me to go out.

That is, until I discovered Kian bent one of my hydrangea flowers and Sydney lopped it off with her tail. Until Luca had a pee in the pool and Kian started to drink it by the bottle. Until Kian decided to feed all his chalk to Sydney. And until they decided to dig up the garden and pour mud all over Sydney's kennel and themselves... When it wasn't bath night.

It's like having three children out there sometimes. Except it's nothing like having three children.

I've found myself wondering lately what that would be like.  Would it tip us over the edge or would it complete the picture?*



* I can wonder all I like. It's still very much a 'no, thank you' from my spearfisherman.

12 comments:

  1. there is an edge. i'm on the other side of it, waving with my three crazies. happy, happy times, but over the edge i tell ya. ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I accidentally skipped and hopped straight from one to three. Although I always knew I wanted more than two...

    Our recent holiday booking experience made me realise that the world is designed for the 'two adults and two children' package.

    But babies are so nice, aren't they? Cluck cluck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's that baby thing. I want to carry them around in a sling. I want to breastfeed again and I want to watch three children play together. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. I've got three and I have to say the last one has completed our picture. We ummed and aahed about number 3, and I'm so glad we went for it. I have two boys like you and a baby girl and it make my heart ache with happiness when I see my sons doting on their sister. She has brought us all so much joy and I truly feel like the luckiest mum in the world. I hope your spearfisherman changes his mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Averil. He's reading all these comments, so you never know!

      Delete
  4. I've always envisaged you with three, Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had three children, a bit of pee won't bother you...if the dog eats chalk, you'll call it dinner and that splash around in the wading pool? That IS the bath...because that's how we roll, us mum's of three. Do it, you will only question your decision for a year or two and then it will all be totally worth it xxx
    PS I'd love fourth but my husband says no, no, no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! It really is just about the strain and exhaustion in the first year or so, that's really what he's saying no to. I know it would be wonderful down the line. It's just those early stages that are a bit... tricky! OK, what I really mean is bloody awful. Of course, I'm forgetting how sick I was with both pregnancies for the first 3 months and how I ended up in hospital on a drip because I was throwing up so much. It would be hell on earth to be that sick with two children, but it might be different? Hmmmmm.

      Delete
  6. O lol... I can only imagine as I don't even have one.. :) But they look so blissfully happy in that pool together, I'd say why not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vanessa, there's such a strong urge in women to keep having babies, it's Mother Nature, the urging of evolution. It's madness! All the comments above are very positive about three but I must confess that sometimes my neighbour and I say: 'Why!?? Why did we do it!!??? We'd never do it again!!!.' Three is tricky and sometimes you have twins like I did... then it's four, which is just silly and completely over the top.

    My husband resisted for ages... but came round in the end... Mother Nature won the day... the twins are 6 now and we're still exhausted!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are the same- do we or don't we? I confess I would, but my husband isn't convinced we would survive past baby number 3.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping over. I'd love to hear from you. Even if it's just to say hello.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.